Be it numerous skincare products, television commercials and on everyone’s lips (even if it’s hard to pronounce) is a new catchphrase. We’re talking about hyaluronic acid, which is in massive demand these days. If you are excited too, come along, and we’ll help you know more about this magic ingredient.
What is Hyaluronic Acid?
It is a clear and sticky substance naturally generated by the body which helps retain water that keeps tissues moist and lubricated. In simple terms, it increases hydration in your skin, making it appear fresh, plump, supple, and dewy. As you age, the amount of hyaluronic acid produced by the body starts decreasing and leads to wrinkles, dryness, dullness and other signs of skin ageing.
Benefits of Using Hyaluronic Acid for Skin
Here’s why you need to include skincare products that contain this in your skincare routine:
- It helps lock moisture in your skin and keeps it hydrated and smooth.
- It reduces the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles, making your skin appear younger and radiant.
- It prevents skin damage caused by pollution and environmental toxins and aids in maintaining your skin’s elasticity.
- Hyaluronic acid also helps in fighting the problem of dry eyes and fine lines under the eyes.
Forms of Hyaluronic Acid
- Dietary Supplements
Certain food items help increase its production. You can include them in your diet and enjoy the benefits. For example soy-based foods, starchy root vegetables such as sweet potatoes, citrus fruits and leafy greens.
- Face Creams
Another source are the skincare products. Several creams or gels with hyaluronic acid as its main ingredient are available in the market. You can use them under the guidance of a dermatologist to know the efficacy and tolerability of the product.
Serums contain it in a more concentrated form. Regular use of serums containing it will give you youthful and radiant skin (if used in the right manner)
- Eye Drops
Eye Drops that contain hyaluronic acid provide moisture to the surface of the eye and form a long-lasting protective film/layer on that area. Thereby reducing dryness in the eyes. However, you should never use it without consulting a doctor.
- Sheet Masks
Various face sheet masks have it in a good amount. They are a great way to get rid of dullness and offer instant hydration to your skin. Thus, making skin soft and healthy.
Using a moisturizer containing hyaluronic acid can help eliminate varied skin ageing issues. These moisturizers help retain the moisture inside the skin layers leading to a decrease in wrinkles and youthful appearance.
Face cleansers with hyaluronic acid help retain moisture and not dry out your skin. Especially for people with dry or sensitive skin, it can help strengthen the skin barrier.
- Lip Balms
When used on lips, it gives it a plump effect due to its moisture-lock formula.
What are the Side Effects of Hyaluronic Acid?
Although it is one of the safest substances to use on your skin, it does have some side effects.
- It may not cause any issue by itself but the preservatives mixed in the product can cause skin sensitivity.
- If you notice redness or itching, it is best to wash off the product and consult your dermatologist.
- For those who wish to take it as an oral supplement, it is best to discuss it with your dermatologist. Do not self prescribe any such supplements.
- With injectables containing hyaluronic acid, some side effects include redness or swelling. Consult your doctor immediately if you notice any such adverse reaction.
- Presently there’s insufficient evidence, but women planning to get pregnant or are breastfeeding should consult their doctor if they plan to take it as an injection or supplements.
Hyaluronic acid has innumerable benefits for your skin, and you should surely give it a try. However, keep in mind the side effects mentioned above to stay safe. It is a versatile ingredient that is also known to help speed up wound healing, relieve joint pain, soothe acid reflux etc. For any doubts or questions, talk to a dermatologist.
- Is hyaluronic acid bad for your skin?
There’s nothing wrong with using it, but there are certain side effects you need to keep in mind. Kindly go through the blog above to understand it in detail.
- What skin type can use hyaluronic acid?
All skin types can use it. However, you need to remember that everyone’s skin is different. Hence, it is best to take a patch test before using products and also consult a doctor. It is better to share it with a medical practitioner in whichever form you wish to use to protect your skin and body.
- Can I use vitamin C after hyaluronic acid?
You can use products that contain both ingredients together. However, it is not advisable to mix separate products and apply on the skin. If you wish to layer, it is best to apply hyaluronic acid first on the skin. Wait 10 minutes and then top it up with Vitamin C.
- Is it fine to use hyaluronic acid every day?
It depends on what form you are using and how your skin reacts to it. You can always consult your dermatologist before planning to use hyaluronic acid.