Aloe vera is a popular name when it comes to skincare or even haircare! It is one of those ingredients that you can use for anything. Many people grow aloe vera at home and extract its juice, and gel themselves! One of the ways in which aloe vera can help you is to soothe itchy skin or rashes.
Properties of using aloe vera for itching and rashes
If you ask us what aloe vera can do for you, our answer is a lot! It has many excellent properties that help keep the skin healthy. Let us have a look at some properties that help with skin itching and rashes.
Soothes the skin
First and foremost, aloe vera has cooling and anti-inflammatory properties. This helps it soothe the skin that it is applied on. It is a great at-home way to soothe rashes and itchy skin. To increase its soothing properties, you can keep aloe vera gel in the fridge and apply it to your face when it is cool. This will pump up the cooling effect, and the cold can reduce puffiness or swelling as well.
It is a great moisturiser!
Aloe vera gel, as well as juice, provides the face with a decent amount of moisture. It helps keep the skin soft and supple and also aids with healing damage. It is a great natural product for dry skin as long as you are not allergic to it. Therefore, the hydration provided by aloe vera helps reduce the effects of rashes and itching.
Anti-microbial and antiseptic
Due to its antimicrobial and antiseptic properties, aloe vera helps fight bacteria and treat acne too! This is a fundamental property that plays a role in treating itchy skin and rashes.
Causes for skin itching and rashes
- Dry skin
3. Skin conditions like psoriasis, eczema etc.
4. Environmental irritants
6. Contact dermatitis
8. Insect bites
9. Fungal, viral or bacterial infections
How to use aloe vera
Aloe vera can be used in a variety of ways for your skin.
1. If you have a plant at home, you can extract the gel and juice from the plant and pour it into an ice tray. Upon freezing, this will make little aloe cubes that you can use first thing in the morning. Next, rub the aloe cube on the face and massage it until you have used up the whole cube. This will reduce morning puffiness, moisturise your skin well and also help to soothe rashes, inflammation and itching.
2. You can use aloe vera gel from the store or extract it from a plant at home. You can directly apply this extract to your skin to help with irritation and other problems.
3. You can use it as a sunscreen and treat sunburns and regular burns too!
4. You can apply aloe vera gel to your skin as many times a day as you wish.
Even if it might not be common, it is still possible to be allergic to aloe vera. To find out if you are, conduct a patch test on your arm and only use it once you are sure it will not react with your skin.
Try to buy products made of pure aloe vera as it is possible to be allergic to other ingredients in a store-bought product.
In case your rash turns into a blister or your itchiness doesn’t go away, it can be an indication of an underlying skin condition. You should, therefore, consult with a dermatologist if this occurs.
Drawbacks of Aloe Vera
Aloe vera is a mild home remedy. It cannot solve all your skin problems. Every skin type and body reacts to it differently. While for some people, it may take away their acne, it might only soothe it for others. If your skin condition is severe, then visit a doctor.
The silver lining
Aloe vera is an excellent ingredient for your skin. Even if you don’t have rashes or itchiness on your skin, it is beneficial to use it daily anyway.
The natural remedies mentioned in the blog are the widely popular ones. However, it is in no way a substitute for medical advice, treatment or diagnosis. Avoid using these if you have sensitive skin or are prone to allergies.
Before trying any natural remedy, always test a small quantity on your skin to check for any adverse reactions or allergy to any particular ingredient. Then, in case of an emergency or any reaction, immediately connect with a doctor who can offer the proper treatment.
1. Does aloe vera cause itching?
While it is uncommon, aloe vera can cause a small amount of itching or burning for some people.
2. Can I apply aloe vera on my face daily?
Because aloe vera is a natural ingredient, as long as you are not allergic, you can use it on your skin daily.
3. Can I sleep with aloe vera on my face?
Yes, you can. Apply a thin layer on your face and use pure aloe vera gel, which is colourless.
4. Is raw aloe vera safe to use on the skin?
Raw aloe is the best to use on your skin. Its natural properties are at their best in this form.