An eye stye is when you have a red bump probably under your eyelid or on top of it. It usually makes your eyelids feel heavy and painful. The stye might also cause your eyes to water, and itch at times. Other than it being painful there is nothing harmful about it and it doesn’t hinder your sight. In some cases, it might also have pus collection inside the bump(1).
They resemble a pimple and usually occur when during the summer or when there’s a lot of heat in your body. They usually leave after a week on their own and don’t cause much harm to your vision. If it stays for longer, then you probably have to seek medical attention(2).
When the eye stye is on the external surface, it can be caused due to these reasons :
- It could be caused because of an infection in the eyelash follicle.
- An infection could also occur in the sebaceous glands which provide sebum for the eyelash follicle.
- Apocrine gland – This gland also produces sebum and stops the eyelashes from drying out.
An eye stye appears on the inside of the eyelid. It’s much more painful and causes irritation as it disturbs the vision, and causes your eye to water. These are usually caused due to infections of the meibomian gland. This is a gland present at the rim of the eyelid that prevents the eye from drying out.
There are other reasons that could aggravate an eye stye, and sometimes even cause it:
- Sharing anything that is used near the eyes, such as eye makeup like kajal.
- Using makeup products that have expired.
- If you wear contact lenses it would be better to switch to glasses for a while to reduce the chances of infection.
- If someone in your family has a stye, don’t use the towels or any other thing that they might use
- A warm compress is usually advised to be held against it for 5-10 mins. This is the only thing you can do to help your eye stye (2).
- Stay away from makeup if you want it to go away sooner.
- In extreme cases of pain, over-the-counter medication such as ibuprofen is available.
- Along with this, some antibiotic and antiseptic creams can be used if your doctor thinks that you need to use one.
- In case you wear lenses, it’s better to get new lenses after the stye has left you. The older ones could be infected.
- Most styes heal within a few days. You should never try to pop a stye as it is in a sensitive area. This could further lead to an infection which could prove to be problematic for your vision as well.
How are eye styes caused?
It’s caused by bacteria that could infect the glands around your eyes.
Are eye styes contagious?
Yes, styes are contagious because it is caused by bacteria. That’s why people usually wear sunglasses to cover their eyes so that nobody else would see them and acquire the same. People are advised not to share common materials such as clothes and towels.
Are ye styes caused by Stress?
Stress aggravates and worsens any condition, so stress could increase your chances of getting a stye, especially when you have a lot of screen time.
What’s the difference between a Pimple and an eye stye?
A pimple can occur anywhere on the body however a stye only occurs on the eyelids.
Experiencing a painful stye? Don’t let the infection spread. Download the CureSkin App now by clicking here to get the best treatment. It’s easy, fast and affordable!