Scrubs are usually products that are used to get rid of dead skin cells. These can be chemical or natural as well.
Some of the natural scrubs are oats and besan flour for example. Oats can be used at times when your skin is extremely sensitive and you need a gentle exfoliator. Besan flour on the hand can be hard on your skin depending on the way you utilize it on your skin.(1)
Exfoliating your skin is important because this helps in the removal of dead skin cells that could cause your pores to get clogged. All skin issues start right from this, your pores get clogged up and cause inflammations, when that heals it again causes pigmentation and other skin imperfections.
That being said there are a few things you have to keep in mind while using a scrub or even choosing a scrub.(2)
If you have really sensitive skin or you have a lot of acne it’s best to use a gentle scrub.
- Frequency- Make sure you don’t use the scrub every day. A scrub should ideally be used once a month or once in two weeks.If you use a scrub everyday it could dry out your skin. This could happen because by scrubbing your would be getting rid of the natural moisture of your skin due to the oils. If your skin ends up being dry it would in turn cause more acne because there would be an excessive production of sebum.
- Duration – Don’t scrub your face for long periods of time. This will not do your skin any good in return it could only harm your skin. This could potentially dry your skin and cause it to secrete more oil.
- 3. Timing – In case you are going to steam your face, it’s always better to do it before you steam your skin and not after. Your skin is extremely sensitive after you steam your face, thus scrubbing is not a good idea.
- Acne- In case you have acne or any other kind of inflammations then it’s always better to stay away from scrubbing your face. This could increase inflammation and ry it out at the same time, and thus make it worse for your skin.
- Wounded skin– The same applies to the wounded skin as well. If your skin has scratches or wounds on them it’s best to stay away from scrubbing your skin over that and let it heal first. By scrubbing your skin firstly what you could be doing is increasing the risk if an infection. It could also hinder the healing process ultimately leave a scar on your skin.
- Always wash your face with a good face wash and then use a scrub.
- Make sure you use a good mask or gel after you finish scrubbing because this will help your skin in observing the goodness of your scrub.
- Try staying away from exposing your skin directly to sunlight. This will be dangerous because after scrubbing your skin it’s usually sensitive to everything around. Thus, if you’re going out, it’s advisable to apply ample amounts of sunscreen.
How to use face scrub for oily skin?
There is no set way, you use it normally but massage it gently maximum for a minute. The key with oily skin is that you shouldn’t scrub excessively. Even though you might think that this could create a balance of oils on your skin it doesn’t. It creates more dryness and that leads to more acne.
What does face scrub do?
Face scrub helps in exfoliating your skin, removing dead skin cells and dirt that clogs pores and rejuvenates your skin.
Is face scrub better than face wash?
They both work together, face wash helps in cleaning your skin, whereas a scrub helps in exfoliating and removing dead skin cells.
How often should one use a face scrub?
It should be used once a month or once in two weeks. The amount you use and the duration for which you use the face scrub also needs to be monitored. Scrubbing your face excessively will dry it out, which could lead to an increase in sebum production and ultimately acne.
Struggling with a Skin or Hair issue? Download the CureSkin App now by clicking here to get the best treatment. It’s easy, fast and affordable!