Face scrubs have been a part of the beauty industry for a long time now. While we think we have mastered its use, the chances are that you are still making mistakes that can be causing damage to your skin. So, let’s find out what you’re doing right and what you should not be doing with your face scrub.
Why do we use a face scrub?
A scrub helps in exfoliating your skin. It helps in the removal of dead skin cells that can clog your pores. Dust, dirt and excess sebum are the main reason for most skin issues, including acne.
Further, clogged pores can cause inflammations, and when that heals, it causes pigmentations. A face scrub can save you from skin issues like this. However, a face scrub may cause severe damage to your skin if it’s not used in the right way!
How To Use A Face Scrub? (and How Not To!)
Do’s and Don’ts when using a face scrub.
- Wash your face before scrubbing – Always wash your face with a good face wash and then use a gentle scrub.
- Apply a hydrating or nourishing face mask after scrubbing – Use a good mask or gel after you finish scrubbing. This will help your skin absorb the goodness of your scrub and mask efficiently.
- The right product – Try to get a face scrub that is designed for your skin type. This can help with additional moisturisation and other skin issues too.
- Hydrate – Moisturise your skin with a hydrating moisturiser after using a scrub to replenish its lost hydration and moisture barrier.
- Stay away from sunlight – Do not expose your skin directly to sunlight. When you scrub your skin, it becomes sensitive to everything around you. You can enhance your skin’s barrier function and protect it from dust, dirt and the sun by using sunscreen when you are indoors as well as outdoors. Don’t forget to reapply it every 3 hours.
- Frequency – Do not use a scrub every day. Use a face scrub once a month or once in two weeks. Otherwise, it could dry out your skin. Scrubbing frequently strips off the natural moisture of your skin. This can result in excessive sebum production in your skin to compensate for the dryness, resulting in more acne.
- Duration – Do not scrub your face for long periods of time as it will only harm your skin. Scrubbing your skin for too long can dry your skin and secrete more oil, leading to acne.
- Steam – Do not steam your face before scrubbing. It’s always better to scrub before you steam. Your skin is extremely sensitive after you steam. Thus, scrubbing is not a good idea.
- Gentle scrubs – Avoid using physical scrubs to exfoliate your skin. It is best to use gentle scrubs containing AHA’s or BHA.
- Acne – In case you have acne or any other kind of inflammation, it’s always better to stay away from any type of skin scrub. This could increase inflammation and dry it out simultaneously, making it worse for your skin.
- Wounded skin – If your skin has scratches, burns or wounds on it, stay away from scrubbing and let it heal instead. By using a scrub on your wound, you could be risking an infection. It could also hinder the healing process, ultimately leaving a scar on your skin.
The silver lining
Face scrubs can be an excellent addition to your skincare routine as long as you use them the right way and in the right proportion!
1. How to use face scrub for oily skin?
Massage it very gently for a minute or less. The key to helping oily skin is to avoid scrubbing excessively. Even though you might think that this could create a balance of oils on your skin, it doesn’t. It confuses your oil glands leading to more acne.
2. What does face scrub do?
Face scrub helps exfoliate your skin, removing dead skin cells and dirt that clog pores and rejuvenates your skin.
3. Is face scrub better than face wash?
They both work together. Face wash helps in cleaning your skin, whereas a scrub helps in exfoliating and removing dead skin.
4. What happens if I don’t use a scrub?
Not using a face scrub can result in a build-up of dirt, dust, pollution and excess oils on the surface of your skin. This can eventually clog your pores and cause skin issues, including acne and a bumpy skin texture.
Get your Clear Skin Treatment Kit From Experts (based on your Complete Skin Analysis!)