Now that Bhai dooj is here, I’m sure all of you are looking for what to gift your siblings. Picking any gift can be a hard task, even more if you want to deliver maximum happiness. If you are considering some kind of skincare product, make sure you know what you are getting. Many do not know that men’s skin and women’s skin are in fact very different from each other.
Girls, you cannot assume the products you use will be equally effective on your brother. You need to get them products that are specifically made for men. This is not only for the reason that they are often uncomfortable with the idea of using women’s products, but also because their skin is made differently from yours.
And guys, gifting the products you use to your sister could really affect your sister’s skin. Your skin is very different from your sister’s and you need to ensure you get products that are meant for girls since they tend to be more gentle.
Hence, before deciding on what to get your sibling, you need to know how exactly your skin is different from your theirs to get them the perfect gift.
Here are the main differences that you need to be cautious about so you can ensure you pick your products accordingly.
- Texture – Men’s skin appears to be rougher and thicker in general due to their thick epidermis. Women, on the other hand, tend to have softer and smoother skin(1).
- Thickness – Men have about 25% thicker skin than women do. This enables them to be less vulnerable against the environment(2).
- Oil production – Men tend to have larger pores and produce more oil in their skin than women do, making their skin appear more oily. This results in more long lasting acne in men than women, but also makes their skin seem more hydrated and fuller(3).
- Collagen – Men’s skin tends to produce more collagen than women’s skin. Collagen is a protein consisting of amino-acids that is related to signs of aging. So, them having higher collagen content means they look younger than women do when they are both of the same age(4).
- Shaving – While shaving leads to exfoliation and makes the skin appear more youthful, it also causes irritation and burns. Women don’t usually face this problems since their hair tends to be softer than men’s. Shaving without the right care can also cause ingrown hairs in men, and reduce the barrier protection of their skin. To avoid this, the razor must be changed after every 3 or 4 uses(5).
- Needs of skin – Let’s make one thing clear- just because men’s skin is thicker, rougher and oilier, doesn’t mean the basic needs of their skin are different. Men and women need the same things for their skin, and they even work in the same way. The only difference is that men might need a higher concentration of the same things due to the thickness of their skin(6).
So when you consider gifting some skincare product for your sibling, ensure that the product is meant for them and make sure to know their skin type because that is just as important. Ensure you celebrate the special bond you share with your sibling on this day by giving them nothing but the best. Happy Bhai Dooj!